It’s no surprise that the Holiday Season is the time of year where retailers make the biggest part of their revenues for the year.
As a small business owner, you can be the change and choose to invest your dollars with small businesses for both your personal and business needs.
When you shop small, the majority of your dollars stay in your community and create wealth and jobs for your neighbours and keep small businesses in business.
Ideas to Support:
1. Shop small in person at your local retailers – buy a gift card if you don’t know what to buy.
2. Shop small online or arrange curbside pickup. Many of our local businesses have e-commerce or social media shops you can purchase from.
3. Order handmade gifts online or through our fabulous local marketplaces that support artisans and makers such as The Makers Hub, Markets by Dreamday and the Nooks Canada, The Local Port Perry or Shop Durham Region. Grab your favourite beverage, order a local meal and start shopping.
4. Build and nurture your network by connecting with other small businesses owners, consider mentoring a new business or helping them however you can.
5. Amplify on social media. Follow, like, comment and share posts from other small businesses in your network. Ask them to do the same.
6. Get something for your business this season. A new sign, help with your books or social – look for local businesses to support those needs and ask for referrals.
7. Arrange or take part in a sidewalk sale, arrange holiday festivities, a networking event, hold a food/toy drive or do cross promotions with other small businesses or bundle a selection of products from local businesses.
Tell us what your plans are to support small business this holiday season?
Written by Teresa Shaver